Tuesday, October 8, 2013

18 Days Till B2B: Last Big Training Block Completed!

I'm less than three weeks away from the race.  As I enter the peaking phase of my training I thought I would offer up a numbers post.  I'm always curious to see what others' are doing with their training, so instead of a narrative here is what my last couple weeks looked like in numbers over the last 10 days:

Swimming:
4 workouts
13,200 meters
4.25 hrs
2 days were maintenance
1 day threshold speed (24 x 50 with 15" rest  - held 35")
1 day strength pull set (4000m)

Cycling:
6 workouts
275.66 miles
16.5 hrs
3 days were maintenance
1 three hr progression
1 long strength/power - 4.5 hrs with 12.5 mile loop @ IM effort, 12.5 mile loop at 1/2IM effort followed by 6 x 6' hill repeats at Oly effort
1 long ride - 5.5 hrs

Running:
5 workouts
51.97 miles
6.25 hrs
2 days were maintenance
1 speed day (3 x 1 mile with 3' rest)
1 two hour progression run
1 workout with 6 x 2..6 mile @ IM effort with 2' rest (2 hrs)

I was happy with this block.  The swim workouts were kind of blah, but I'm really looking forward to the run at B2B and my run workouts were fantastic this week.  I had my best results on the 3 x 1 mile workout, the progression run went better than it ever has gone and I was pleased with the long intervals.  I fell apart a little bit on the last effort but had good speed to start and held well to the fifth repeat.  

I was also pleased with the two long bike workouts.  My buddy Ryan Toner, who will also be competing down at B2B came up for the weekend for those workouts.  On Saturday we did the bike intervals.  I'd never done the tempo intervals followed by the longer high end hill repeats, but was happy with the consistency and power I was able to put out on those.  On Sunday we went for a long, hilly, ride in horrible conditions.  I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone, but those miserable rides are nice to have in the back pocket when the weather isn't perfect at a race.  It was after these two days that I ran the long repeats, on Monday.

Now it's peaking time!

No comments:

Post a Comment